Here is a great clean version of dinner rolls that won't leave you feeling full and bloated. Courtesy of The Gracious Pantry!
(Makes 12 rolls)
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 pack rapid-rise, highly active yeast
- 3/4 cups warm water (105-115 degrees F)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 3/4 cup almond milk (soy, hemp, cow, or rice milk will work too)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil and extra for coating dough
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the honey and water and stir until honey is dissolved.
- Add yeast to the water / honey mixture and let stand until foamy (about 10 minutes)
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Once the yeast mixture is foamy, add the oil and milk and stir briefly.
- Add the flour to the liquid mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until it gets thick enough to knead with your hands (if you have a mixer, you can do this all in one bowl with a dough hook).
- Knead for about 5 minutes. The dough should be slightly sticky, but firm and smooth. If it's too sticky, add a bit more flour, 1 Tbsp at a time.
- Coat the ball of dough in olive oil, cover the bowl with a towel and allow the dough to rise for 1 hour.
- Now break the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll into balls.
- Place on an oiled cookie sheet, cover with a towel and let rise for 1 more hour.
- Brush the rolls with a small amount of milk, using a basting brush.
- Bake rolls for approximately 40-50 minutes. They should have a nice golden brown crust when done.
- Remove from over and cool on a cooling rack.
They taste delicious when served a bit warm!