Tips to Stay Focused and On Track this Thanksgiving!

Well, I'm going to say it, it's officially the holiday season! My husband and I went out this past weekend to do the majority of our Christmas shopping and the rest can now be done online....what a relief!  I'm not a big fan of those holiday crowds!  My 3 year old daughter convinced me to decorate the house and yes, even put up the Christmas tree yesterday!  I know, it's not even Thanksgiving, but I am typically an early decorator when it comes to Christmas since we travel for Thanksgiving.  I'm also that person who takes the decorations down before January 1st!
 
So with all of the holiday cheer comes those extra sweets and added calories to your day, particularly on Thanksgiving Day.  We are with my family for Thanksgiving this year which means we will be traveling about an hour and half each way.  Ugh!  Thanksgiving dinner with my family isn't exactly "typical."  Since I come from an Italian family, I will not only be surrounded with the usual turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, etc. but also gnocchi's, meatballs, and even some beef as well!  As for dessert, it's not just pumpkin pie, but also vanilla AND chocolate graham cracker pie, usually a chocolate pie, maybe a coconut pie.  It differs a bit from year to year.  You'd think that I'm talking about a family of 30 or 40 people but I have to say, there are only 12 of us along with my two little ones!   It is all so delicious that you don't even know where to start!  I typically end my dinner feeling completely full and bloated and then fill my containers with leftovers to take home.  I vow that this year is going to be much different.  While I'm looking forward to all of the fantastic food, I am going to pick and choose what I want to use my calorie intake on.  Just because I'm not planning to stuff my face with food this year, doesn't mean that my Thanksgiving is going to be ruined.  I am going to be following the 80/20 rule.  At least 80% of my day will be focused on choosing healthy options. So, what can you do to have a healthy holiday that doesn't leave you with those extra pounds?  Needless to say, I have a game plan and am going to share it, along with my tips, with you!
 
 
For starters, I am sharing my weekly meal plan. I'm keeping it pretty simple this week, which meant a less expensive grocery bill!  I am planning to use my 2:00pm Thanksgiving dinner as my cheat for the week because I may enjoy a small piece of pie or fill my plate a tad more than a usual dinner of mine.  The key is to watch portion sizes!  While I may have an extra starch on my plate, it will not be a huge pile, rather a cupped handful.  I am also planning to have some leftovers for dinner on Friday; however, it will not be cheat for me.  I will stick with a piece of lean turkey, probably a sweet potato, and some green beans.  I have my Shakeology incorporated every day and even twice on Thanksgiving Day!  Why?  Because I know we will be making the drive back home some time in the evening and I want to make sure that I do not skip a meal and end up starving when we get home.  That's one of the many great perks with Shakeology.  You always have a healthy, nutritious option! 
 
Now on to my tips:
1. Workout!  Even though it is a holiday, that is no excuse to skip my workout.  I usually get my workout in during the mid morning, but since we will be leaving by 10:00am, I will make sure that I get it in before my family wakes up in the morning.  Since I am doing Focus T25, I only need 25 minutes!  It's important that you don't take unscheduled rest days.  I've learned that the hard way.  I took a few days off and it was rough getting back on track!  So, even if it is a run on the treadmill, a quick trip to the gym, or a different home fitness program, it's important that you don't miss your workout! 
 
 
 
 
2. Bring a healthy dish!  For me, I know that there are going to be some healthy options at my dinner; however, if you know that you are going to be faced with unhealthy choices, bring a healthy side dish!  At least you know that what you are bringing is healthy, so, you can load your plate with what you brought along with some fruits and veggies, and you are good to go!  If you drink  Shakeology, you can stash a pack in your car with a bottle of water so that you have something else in case you get hungry. 
 
3. Don't starve yourself! This is a big one!  In the past I never ate anything until dinner time because I knew I'd be over indulging later in the day.  I figured I'd be saving all of my calories for that one big meal.  Looking back, what was I thinking?!  I would be sooo hungry come dinner time and eat WAY TO MUCH, feel tired, sluggish, bloated, and then see it on the scale by the next morning!  This year, I plan to stick with my typical 5 meals.  I will drink my shake in the morning, have my mid morning snack in the car followed by my dinner (at lunch time) and my shake in the evening.  No different than any other day!  And again, my Thanksgiving will be no less fun!
 
 
4. Stay hydrated! Aim to drink at least 1/2 of your body weight in ounces.  By doing so, you are not only staying hydrated, but it will keep feeling fuller and you will be less likely to overeat come dinner time. 
 
5. Munch on healthy food!  Ok so how many of you sit around the dinner table with your family chatting away?  And what is in front of you on that table?  I'm guessing some sort of treat,  maybe a basket of chips, a cheese tray...  And what typically happens?  Does your hand seem to make it's way to the table mindlessly munching on those treats???  It's okay, you can admit it!  Try sticking to fruits and veggies if you feel the need to munch.  And be cautious of the dips!! 
 
6. Pack your cooler!  Since I know that I will be traveling in the car to and from my family's house, I am planning on packing my cooler with a few snacks.  I will be making my peanut butter banana roll up in the morning to pack, as well as an apple, my pre-portioned almonds, and of course, my Shakeology.  It's pretty simple!  I now that I will be completely prepared for when I get hungry in the car and won't be left starving at any point during the day.  
 
7. Be prepared and plan ahead!  None of these tips would be feasible if I didn't plan ahead.  Plan out your day, know where you are going to be and when.  Then, base your meals around that!  Trust me, it will all be worth it when you wake up Friday morning not feeling sluggish and still full from the day before!  
 
What are you responsible for bringing this Thanksgiving?  Check out some of these recipes!
 
Thanksgiving Recipes:
Spiced Apple Cider
Clean Eating Dinner Rolls
Clean Eating Cranberry Sauce
Ezekiel Bread Stuffing
Clean Eating Green Bean Casserole
Pumpkin Fluff
Slow Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Turkey
 
 
 
Enjoy your healthy holidays!
 
In case you do blow it a little bit over the holiday, you still have time to get it back in order before New Years!  I'm doing a 30 Day Clean Eating and Shakeology accountability group to keep you on track!  You will learn tips just like the ones above to help you stay focused with balance. There is just something about having support that makes all the difference in the world!
 
 
 
 
 
 
Message me to reserve your spot! As of now, I have 2 spots left!
 
 
Happy Thanksgiving!
 
 
 

Labels: , , , , , ,