Let me start by saying that Ground Turkey is forbidden in my house. I've tried to trick my husband with it and sure enough, he tastes it EVER time. A challenger in one of my groups posted this recipe a few weeks ago and it looked so good! I really wanted to give it a try and even debated on just using Ground Beef to avoid the argument; however, I decided to give this one last try. I did switch up the recipe a bit by using some fresh tomatoes rather than all canned and I also added a little corn and black beans. Guess what?! IT WORKED! I said nothing and I hid the Ground Turkey container. My husband's response when he tasted it was: "This is really good!" I personally loved it and was hoping he would too so we could add it to our dinner rotation list. We had a good bit leftover so I was happy to be able to have it again for lunch the following day; however, when I went to the fridge, all of the leftovers were GONE! He took the entire container to work with him!
So your question is, What did he say when he found out? The answer to that is, he still doesn't know! Come on, I"m not going to give up my secret :)
Ok, on to the recipe....
This would be great to make and have on hand this weekend during the football games!
- 2 lb ground turkey
- 1 yellow onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 5 plum tomatoes (diced)
- 1 (15 oz) can petite diced tomatoes, no-salt added
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce (I used Franks)
- 8 oz kidney beans - no-salt added, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz black beans - low sodium, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups of whole kernel corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (I did not use these as we are not big fans of jalapenos)
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of Ground Pepper
- 1 Packet of Stevia
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
**I know, it's a lot of ingredients but it's totally worth it!
1. Drizzle olive oil in a large pot or skillet.
2. Saute onion and garlic for about 2-3 minutes
3. Add ground turkey and cook until crumbled and brown. Be sure to drain the excess liquid if necessary.
4. Add all other ingredients and cook on medium low heat for about 45 minutes or so.