I found this recipe in one of my Clean Eating Magazines (which I highly recommend!) and had to try it. It was a hit with the whole family! If you have your own meatball recipe you can obviously use that, but this is a really good one too!
|Foil Packed Meatball Sub|
Foil Packed Meatball Subs
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups jarred unsalted tomato sauce (check the ingredients and go with a natural sauce)
- 2 tsp each dried basil and oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 6 whole-grain sausage or sub buns, grilled
1. In a large pan on medium heat, heat oil. Add in onion and saute, stirring frequently (about 2 minutes). Add garlic and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Scrape into a large bowl and cool slightly.
2. Mix beef, egg, bread crumbs, parsley and Parmesan. Shape into approximately 18 meatballs.
3. Heat grill to high.
4. In a medium bowl combine tomato sauce, basil, oregano and pepper flakes. Spread one-quarter of the sauce in center of a 24 inch long sheet of heavy-duty foil, turning edges of foil up to prevent spilling.
5. Top with meatballs, remaining sauce, bell pepper and mushrooms. Bring short edge of each foil packet together, then fold inward a few times along each long edge to seal packet.
6. Turn off heat on 1 side of grill; transfer packet to unheated side. Close the lid and grill until temperature reaches 160 degree F (test at the center of the thickest meatball). It should take about 18-20 minutes.
7. Divide the meatballs among buns and sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese (optional)
It seems like a lot of steps but it is worth it!!