Clean Eating Chipotle Burrito Bowl

Although Chipotle has been a nearby restaurant, my husband and I never had any interest in going there.  I am not a huge Mexican eater and I just assumed I wouldn't care for it.  Well, a few weeks ago we decided to give it a try and OH MY GOODNESS!  It was delicious!  I prefer the burrito bowl, so, I decided to check out the nutrition facts online.  While the toppings that I personally get aren't all that terrible for you, the sodium content is through the roof!  I actually figured out that I was eating about 1600 mg of sodium in one burrito bowl!  YIKES!  

Naturally, I decided to re-create my own "cleaner" version  :) So, I gave it a try last night and sure enough, it passed my husbands approval and is yet another addition to our dinner rotation list!  

Clean Eating Burrito Bowl, Chipotle Burrito Bowl
Burrito Bowl


Ingredients: (Makes about 5-6 burritos)
* Mix of red and green Bell peppers (I also added in a yellow pepper)
* 1 Sweet Red Onion
* Brown Rice
* 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
* 1 can of black (reduced sodium) or pinto beans
* 2-3 tomatoes, diced, OR, you could use Homemade Salsa
* 100% Whole Wheat Tortillas (if wanting to make burritos) 
* Cilantro
* Lime Juice
* Lemon Juice
* Garlic
* Sea Salt 
* Extra Virgin Olive Oil 

Directions For Rice:
Cook rice according to package. After cooking, mix in the juice from a small lime, plus, two tsp of freshly chopped cilantro, a dash of sea salt, and a squirt of lemon juice.

Directions For Fajita Mix:
Chop up peppers and half a sweet red onion. Heat skillet with 1 Tbsp of EVOO.  Add in peppers, onion, and 1 Tbsp of fresh Oregano and stir-fry until soft. 

Directions For Chicken:
Grill chicken and chop in to chunks.  I seasoned my chicken with Mrs. Dash's Fiesta Lime (salt-free) seasoning.  You could also season it with garlic and some fresh lemon juice. 

Directions For Beans:
Cook beans until soft and then simmer with 1/4 cup water, 2 Tbsp chopped onion, 2 Tbsp garlic, and 2 Tbsp oregano. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes or so.  

Directions for Guacamole (I did not make this; however, I found this clean version and thought I'd share.  These ingredients are not a part of the main ingredients listed above):
Mash an avocado with 1/4 cup chopped sweet red onion, 1/2 of a chopped jalapeno, 1 Tbsp of fresh chopped cilantro, and a squirt of juice from both a lemon and a lime. 


Ok, whew!  It really looks like a lot more work than it is!  Once you have everything made, mix it all together and top with chopped tomatoes or homemade salsa and guacamole!  If you are wanting to make burritos, heat up the tortillas, spoon on desired amount of mixture, and roll it up! 

Enjoy! 


Labels: , , , ,