We've been in to Mexican food lately so I was searching for some new recipes. I found a few versions of a Mexican pizza so I pulled some ingredients from here and there and put this recipe together. I made it the other night and we loved it!
Ingredients: (Makes 4 pizzas)
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup of clean salsa or store bought (without added sugar)
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup black beans (reduced sodium)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 jalapeno (optional)
- small bowl of Romaine lettuce
- Preheat over to 400 degrees F.
- While the oven is preheating, drain and rinse black beans and cook on stove top.
- Also while the oven is preheating, cook ground beef (or ground turkey). I did season it with Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning; however, you do not have to season it with anything.
- Once the oven is preheated, place 4 tortillas on the rack for about 3 minutes (just until they become hard).
- Remove tortillas and place on a baking sheet. Scoop about 1/2 cup of meat on to each tortilla and sprinkle a little chili pepper on top (if desired). Then, scoop 1/4 cup of salsa and black beans, followed my a handful of peppers and onions. Top with 1/4 cup cheese and a couple slices of jalapeno (if desired) before placing it back in the oven for approximately 6-8 minutes (or until cheese is melted).
- Remove from oven and top with lettuce before serving!
One serving would be 1 pizza, so, if you don't need to make that many, you could always keep the tortilla soft, spoon all the ingredients on and save it for lunch the next day!