Planning for a Healthy Summer Vacation!

Staying healthy on vacation, healthy vacation tips, clean eating, meal planning, 21 day fix, 21 day fix meal plan, vacation meal plan, healthy snacks
Can you stay healthy while on vacation?

 The big question is....is it possible to stay healthy on vacation AND still have fun?!  Let me first ask, what route do you take when going on vacation? Do you throw in the towel and indulge in lots of things you wouldn't normally do otherwise? Do you find that balance between staying healthy and eating some treats? Or, do you stay strict with your diet? I'm in the middle! I pack my healthy snacks, hit up a farmers market on the way for some fresh fruit, and head to the grocery store once we are there for some veggies and other "fridge stuff." BUT, I do allow myself to indulge in some treats throughout. I watch my portions and only let it happen a few times. I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have my Shakeology for breakfast and bring extra as a back up for when everyone else in indulging. To me, it's about having a plan. I don't know about you but I don't like coming home from vacation feeling bloated and 5 pounds heavier!

So, since I am leaving this afternoon for my family summer vacation,  I thought I'd take some time to share what I am personally doing to prepare.  And before you read this, yes, this does take some planning time!  My opinion....if you don't have a plan, you are setting yourself up for failure!   

Staying healthy on vacation, healthy vacation tips, clean eating, meal planning, 21 day fix, 21 day fix meal plan, vacation meal plan, healthy snacks
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Our family vacation spot is Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.  We just LOVE it there! I actually grew up going there as a kid, so needless to say, I am VERY familiar with the food options!  There are so many good restaurants that it's hard to narrow it down to 7!  Yes, my family does go out to dinner each night. Come on, it's vacation!  I don't want to cook!  My husband and I definitely have some staple restaurants that we like to go to and then we always leave room for a couple of new places.  I like to look up the menu while I am home because let's face it, healthy or not, when you go out with a 3 and 5 year old, it's tough to have the time to really focus on the menu! So of course, I do a quick meal plan! Now, I do want to note that this is a TENTATIVE plan. I am not a stickler on making sure we eat at the exact places each night!  BUT, we have narrowed it down to where we'd LIKE to eat, and then I went a step further and figured out what I would be ordering. 

Honestly, this plan really didn't take me long at all.  The main reason is because I am already familiar with most of the restaurants AND, I'm used to planning out my meals, so why not do it for vacation too!  If you are going to a destination where you are NOT familiar with the local restaurants, then I suggest doing your research ahead of time so you have a good idea on the types of restaurants/foods you will be dealing with.  If you wait, no problem, do your research in the hotel room or condo.  Most places have some menus that you can browse!


Staying healthy on vacation, healthy vacation tips, clean eating, meal planning, 21 day fix, 21 day fix meal plan, vacation meal plan, healthy snacks
Healthy planning for a Vacation

Staying healthy on vacation, healthy vacation tips, clean eating, meal planning, 21 day fix, 21 day fix meal plan, vacation meal plan, healthy snacks
Healthy Planning for a Vacation
 I plan to keep my week pretty basic but I do fully intend to follow the 21 Day Fix plan.  I don't want to have to spend a lot on groceries, or have to waste a lot of food, so I've got a pretty repetitive routine going. I of course plan to begin my day, as usual, with my Shakeology!  I'm not sure there is a more convenient time to have Shakeology than on vacation!  It's quick, easy, super healthy, gives me energy, and will be secret in saying no to those boardwalk temptations! I even take my little mini blender with me!  I do have a few days that I plan to have a second shake. I do not recommend doing this too often, but, vacation is a bit of an exception. I know that I will be eating some foods that I don't eat on a normal basis so I like adding in that extra shake to help with any evening cravings/temptations. 

Some other snacks I am bringing along are Quest bars (no theses are not 21 Day Fix approved; BUT, they aren't all that bad for you!), some almond butter for my celery, almonds and walnuts for my yogurt lunch, and of course, my shaker bottle so that I can be sure I am getting enough water throughout the day. Aside from packing some essentials, I have a grocery list ready to go for when we get there.  It includes unsweetened almond milk, fruits, veggies, egg whites, Greek yogurt, and a few other things for the girls and my husband. 

If you like to switch things up throughout the week, or if you don't see something you'd like, there are several other options you could choose from:
* Oatmeal with some berries
* Peanut Butter Banana Roll Up
* Veggies and Hummus
* Cottage Cheese and fruit
* Apple / Almonds
* Low Fat String Cheese
and the list goes on..... If you click on the Clean Eating Recipes tab, I've got a big list of snack ideas!

Overall, I am set and ready to go! I know that when our vacation is over, I am not going to be feeling overly stuffed and I certainly won't be coming home with any added on weight!  Will I still have fun? ABSOLUTELY! I don't need junk and greasy food to have fun! I know how it makes me feel and it's just not something I want to go through!  NO THANK YOU!

So, if you are heading out this summer for a vacation or weekend getaway, I encourage you to HAVE A PLAN!  If something doesn't work out quite the way you expected, then at least you know you have a back up.  If you choose to indulge in some cheats, then plan it out and do it without guilt! 

I am leaving you with 5 tips that will hopefully help you on your next vacation!

1. Always begin your day with a healthy breakfast!  If that is Shakeology, GREAT! If it isn't, then opt for something like eggs and veggies or oatmeal and berries. 

2. Get your daily exercise in! You should shoot for 30 minutes a day. I am LOVING the fact that I have Beachbody on Demand, because I don't have to worry about bringing along my DVD's.  Regardless, whatever you do, just get that daily workout in! 

3. Stay Hydrated!  You want to aim to drink half of your body weight in ounces. If you are heading to a warmer climate, then you should drink even more! 

4. Eat when you are hungry, not with your eye! This is a BIG one!  I can't tell you how many times I pass those boardwalk fries and want to get some, even though I'm not hungry!  Know the difference between being hungry and your willpower caving.

5. ENJOY yourself! Don't stress about all of the food and junk. If you take some time prior to your trip, map out some sort of plan, and pack some healthy snacks, then you are good to go!

I think there is only one way / image I'd like to end this post!

Enjoy your Friday!
Staying healthy on vacation, healthy vacation tips, clean eating, meal planning, 21 day fix, 21 day fix meal plan, vacation meal plan, healthy snacks
Sunshine, here I come!


Labels: , , , , , , , , ,